Monday, May 12, 2008

A Mother's Day Gift

I am chuckling right now! I guess you want to be let in on the reason for my chuckling? I am about to write a quote from a well-loved author and I just chuckle because you have no idea how many times people ask me if I'm related to her. Here is how the conversation usually goes "Hi, my name is Lisa Engel", "OH Lisa Ingall, like Laura Ingall from Little House on the Prairie right?" Now I just introduce myself as Lisa Engel E-N-G-E-L! HA! Anyway here is my quote (actually her quote):

"It is the simple things of life that make living worthwhile, the sweet fundamental things such as love and duty, work and rest, and living close to nature." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Now allow me to quote James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

I am always a little bit reserved on Mother's Day for various reasons, one of which is that for many years I was unable to have a child. I remember those Mother's Days in church when our Pastor's son would intentionally seek me out to hand me a carnation and tell me "You're like a Mommy to me Mrs. Engel & I love you". Sometimes I loved that and sometimes, well, not so much.

Yesterday, as I went through church I greeted many women and I wished them a Happy Mother's Day. Many I knew were Mothers and some I did not know. Sure enough, one woman said to me, "Oh, I'm not a mother, I not even married for that matter!" So I gave her a hug and said "Happy Mother's Day"!

Let me enlighten you to a few definitions of "mother" you may not have been aware of:

1. a woman exercising control, influence, or authority like that of a mother

2. the qualities characteristic of a mother, as maternal affection

3. something or someone that gives rise to or exercises protecting care over something else

4. (my personal favorite)(in disc recording) a mold from which stampers are made (I can feel another blog coming out of this definition)

As women, just because of the way God created us, in someway, we inevitably become mothers. Whether you birth a child, adopt a child, teach a child, love a child, pray for a child, (and I'm adding child, but it doesn't even have to be a child by definition), or lead a small group, pray for your neighbor, or....you get the idea - you are a Mother. So, if someone wishes you a Happy Mother's Day, receive it in love and think of the people that the Lord has placed in your path of life. Every good and perfect gift is from the Father above. Happy Mother's Day EVERYONE!

No comments: