Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Lesson from Lydia

On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message. When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home.
"If you consider me a believer in the Lord," she said, "come and stay at my house." And she persuaded us. Acts 16:13-15 (TNIV)

In my Bible study this week we looked at the conversion of Lydia by Paul in the city of Philipi. First of all I really like to read about Paul, he was one of the first missionaries, if not the first, and has such cool stories. In this section of scripture I found a few things interesting; the first couple deal with Paul, the next few with Lydia.

With Paul:
Place of prayer.
I saw that when Paul arrived in Philipi he woke up and headed out to find a "place of prayer." Jesus said in Matthew 21:13 that His house would be a "house of prayer." Seems to me like Paul woke up on Sunday morning, stretched, looked around and headed out for a prayer service. I wonder what it is we wake up on Sunday mornings looking for.

Paul was a missionary
Some of us have been sent to share the gospel in our workplace, some in our own town, but others, like Paul, have been sent to places across the waters. My mind immediately goes to the missionaries our church is partnered with in the country of Senegal. They, just like Paul, rely on other believers to pray for them, to support them and to give to them a place to lay their head and a platform to share the good news while in the area. I wonder how often we as Americans think beyond our borders, how often we lift up those sent "to the ends of the earth" in prayer. Prayer works, read about a cool missionary prayer story here.

With Lydia:
Lydia was a seeker.
Did you catch it? Lydia and her girlfriends were hanging out looking for a place of prayer as well; or perhaps they knew where to go in this town to hear the Good News. Either way they were seeking it out. God's Word says "I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me." (emphasis mine) Proverbs 8:17

Lydia was a women of action.
The Lord opened her heart to respond to the message of Jesus. She immediately shared with her family who responded and then they were all baptised. Next Lydia, this beautiful servant of our Lord, went right on ahead and invited everyone over for dinner and a sleepover. She wasted no time, she was a women of action.

Lydia was in a small group.
I also found it interesting that she said "if you [Paul] consider me a believer in the Lord come and stay at my house." As if to say "I'm a believer, your a believer we are to fellowship together. It's what we do." I bet Lydia hosted small groups wherever she was. She understood the importance of community.

Lydia was a servant.
She also understood the responsibility to serve others. In one of my favorite Bible stories Paul and Silas were let out of jail after a crazy earthquake freed them from their chains, only actually they stayed in jail and shared the Good News to everyone there. (read about it here it's worth it) When they were freed from jail, legally, they went to Lydia's house where believers were gathered. She served others by opening her home.
What a wonder example of a women after God's own heart.



Questions to ask yourself?


think back about Paul:
What do you look forward to each Sunday morning?
Pray and ask God to help you develop a desire for prayer time with Him.
How often do you think of and prayer for our missionaries? Is there anything else you can do to support them in their service to the Lord?
Pray and ask God what you could do an ocean away to bless those sent to Senegal.



think about Lydia:
Are you a seeker? How are you actively seeking God?
Are you a women of action? What Biblical action are you putting into practice today?
Are you in a small group?
How are you serving Christ?
How are you serving others in Christ's name?

I hope you have enjoyed this little glimpse into the life of Paul and Lydia, a women who truly "got it". My prayer for each of you is that you would "get it", that you would be that light of the world, sitting on a stand for all to see (Matt 5:13-15)
~Michelle

1 comment:

coldbayprincess said...

thank you for invitng me to your blog, its nice to feel included in a family of christian sisters